Ali Abdulameer Salih
- Iraqi short story & novel writer ; critic ; translator ; dentist .
- He was born in Kut , Wassit , 1955 .
- He finished his primary & secondary schools in Kut.
- He graduated at the College of Dentistry / University of Baghdad , 1977- 1978 .
- He is married to Eman Omran Al- Temmimi on 1985 , and has four children.
- He won ( from Iraqi Ministry of Culture ) two prizes for his translations of : ( The Tin Drum – Gunter Grass ) 2000 ; ( The storyteller of Marrakech – Joydeep Roy – Bhattacharya ) 2017 ; and for writing his novel ( Khammelat Al – Ajenah ) ( The Garden of Embryos ) 2009 ; and won a prize from ( The General State Cultural Affairs House ) for his critical study ( The diversity of styles & breaking taboos in Hammed Aleqabi ‘s novel ( Al – Dhelee ) ( The Rib ) 2009 .
- He started his literary career on 1975 , during his university years when he published his short stories , children short stories in Al- Taakhi news- paper, Tareek Al – Shaab news-paper , Alef Baa weekly magazine , Altaleeaa Aladdabiyah monthly magazine .
- He headed the Union of Writers in Wassit province : June 2003 – March 2005 .
- He participated in so many literary festivals , novel conferences , and cultural activities in Iraq : Kut , Baghdad , Basra , Erbil .
- He participated in the 2 nd Abu Dhabi international conference for translation ( Enabling Translators ) in ( Translation from English to Arabic workshop ) , 24 – 28 April 2013 ( During the 23 th Abu Dhabi international book fair ) .
- He published his short stories , articles , critical studies , translations in Iraqi , Syrian , Jordanian , Lebanese , Saudi Arabian , Kuwaiti , British ,Bahraini , Oman newspapers& magazines . His literary writings & translations appeared in some cultural web sites .
- He was interviewed in some of Iraqi newspapers & in Suddeutsche Zeitung ( Newspaper of south Germany ) Nr.278 / Seite 3 . Heiko Flottau conducted this dialogue with Ali & was entitled : Irak : Ein Zahnartzt liebt Grass ( Iraq : A dentist likes Grass ) , Wie Doktor Salih Brucken baut ( How doctor Salih built the bridges ) . He was interviewed too in Al – Iraqia , Al- Hurrah – Iraq , Al- Hurriah TV channels . He was interviewed by Vivien Ghanim Al- Jubori in ( Street of Culture ) program in Al – Iraqia TV channel on May 2017 . And also interviewed in( Wamadhat ) audio program in SAWA Broadcast , 2010 .
- His short story ( Why is this grave so cold , Nuha ? ) has been translated by Mustafa Naasir , published in Iraq Literary Review / the 3rd issue , 2013 .
- His short story ( Why is this grave so cold , Nuha ? ) has been adapted in a short movie by : Baqir Jassim Al- Rubaiee ; this film won the golden prize in the 27 th Festival of cinema & theatre department / Academy of Fine Arts – Baghdad , May 2012 . It also won the first prize in the 4th Baghdad International Festival for cinema , October 2012 .
- He didn’t go abroad before 2003 , after that date he visited : Iran , Syria , Egypt , UAE , Turkey , Saudi Arabia , Lebanon , Malaysia , Madrid , Malaga & Paris .
- He started his translation activity when he translated a short story entitled ( The Last Request ) by Alexander Vampilov ( A Russian Writer ) . This translated short story appeared in Sawt Altalabba ( Voice of Students ), a monthly magazine , Baghdad , September 1977 .
- From 1985 onward he started translating books . First he translated ( Arktur Sanatorium ) by : Constantine Fedin on 1985. His 1st translated book appeared in print was ( The bomb party ) ( A novel ): Graham Green , published in Baghdad 1989
Later he translated the following books :
1 – The Tin Drum ( A novel ) : Gunter Grass , Baghdad 2000 .
2- Cat & Mouse ( A novel ) : Gunter Grass , Baghdad 2001, Damascus 2011 .
3 – Tell me how long the train has been gone ( A novel ) : James Baldwin , Cairo 2003 .
4- The Magic Mountain ( A novel ) : Thomas Mann , Baghdad 2007 , Beirut 2010 .
5 – Delta of Venus: Anais Nin , Damascus 2007 .
6- Brida ( A novel ) : Paulo Coelho , Damascus 2009.
7- Hadaeq Al – nosoos ( Garden of texts ) – Critical Approaches to the international literatures , Damascus 2009 .
8 – Dear Gabriel ( A novel ) : Halfdan W. Freihow , Beirut 2010 .
9- Slumdog Millionaire ( A novel ) : Vikas Swarup , Beirut 2010 .
10 – Saturday ( A novel ) : Ian McCewan , Damascus 2010 .
11- Nessaa fi Al-Adb ( Women in Literature ) : Interviews with 20 international female writers , Beirut 2011.
12- Khyool Moraqadda ( Spotted Horses ) & other stories : short stories by contemporary writers , Damascus 2011 .
13- The lake ( A novel ) : Yasunari Kawabata , Damascus 2011 .
14-A precocious autobiography : Yevgeny Yevtushinko , Damascus 2011 , Baghdad 2013 .
15 – The Artist of Disappearance ( Three novellas ) : Anita Desai , Kuwait 2014 .
16– Things I’ve been silent about ( Memories ) : Azar Nafisi , Beirut 2014.
17- The Forty Rules of Love : ( A novel ) : Elif Shafak , Damascus 2014
19 –Saddam’s Generals: Perspectives of the Iran – Iraq war : Military Analysts , Beirut 2015
20 – The Republic of Imagination : America in three books : Azar Nafisi , Beirut 2016 .
21 – The Storyteller of Marrakech ( A novel ) : Joydeep Roy Bhattacharya , Kuwait 2016 .
22 –The Saddam Tapes : Kevin M. Woods & others , Beirut 2017 .
23 – Tarweedh Al- khayal ( Schooling of imagination) , Interviews with 15 male & female international writers , Damascus 2017 .
24 – Cain : ( A novel ) , Jose Saramago , Beirut 2017
25- Princess Bari ( A novel ) : Hwang Sok-Yong ( Beirut ,2017 )
26- Don’t say we have nothing ( A novel ) : Madeleine Thien , Beirut , 2018
27 – Blindness ( A novel ) : Jose Saramago , Beirut 2018 .
28 – The dove flyer ( A novel ) : Elie Amir , Beirut 2018.
29 – Frida : Biography of Frida Kahlo : Hayden Herrera , Beirut 2019.
30- Before we visit the goddess( A novel ) : Chitra Banerjee Divacaruni , Kuwait 2019 .
31 – In America ( A novel ) : Susan Sontag , Beirut 2019
32- Rituals ( A novel ) : Cees Nooteboom , Beirut 2019 .
33 – Call me American ( A memoir ) : Abdi Nor Iftin , Beirut 2020 .
34 – Yesterday , Today , Tomorrow : My life : Sophia Loren , Beirut 2020 .
35 – Persian rituals (Tokoos Farisiyah) ( Savushun ) ( A novel ) : Simin Daneshvar , Beirut 2021 .
36 – In the light of what we know ( A novel ) , Zia Haider Rahman , Beirut 2021 .
37 – The holy sinner ( A novel ) , Thomas Mann , Beirut 2021 .
38 – Red Birds ( A novel ) , Mohammed Hanif , Beirut 2021 .
39 – Interviews with history & power , Oriana Fallaci , Baghdad , 2021 .
40 – The enemy’s eyes ( A Short stories Collection ) , by Italo Calvino & others , Basrah , 2022.
41- Fictional Collections from African Literature , Amman 2021.
42- The beginnings of African Literature ( A Critical Study) , Amman 2021.
* Ali as a writer :
1 – Al – Hollandi Altaer ( The Flying Dutchman ) : collection of 16 short stories , Damascus 2000 .
2- Khameelat Alajenah ( The Garden of Embryos ) : A novel , Beirut 2008 .
3 – Arabesque : A novel , Amman 2009 .
4- Yamamet Al – Rassam ( The Painter’s pigeon ) :A collection of 8 short stories , Beirut 2010 .
5 – Culture of Wassit : past & present ( Two volumes ) , Damascus 2017 .
6 – The three worlds ( Articles ) , Damascus 2018 .
Review Information above ..
Name : Ali Abdulameer Salih
Surname : Al Hakeem
Born : Al Kut 1955
Speciality : writer , critic , translator
Residency : Al Kut – Wasit Province
University : College of dentistry / Baghdad University.
Honours : Best writer in Wasit Province 2009
Facebook Ar : Ali Abdulameer Salih
Twitter Ar : aliabdulameers1
Document of the Iraqi Creativity Award in the field of translation for the year 2017 from the Ministry of Culture
While being honored by the governor of Wasit 2010
One of his novels
The novel “Blindness” is his most famous translated work